Smile is the one of the most beautiful expressions according to me. A baby knows how to smile as instinctively as how to cry. Before you smirk and say you need a reason to smile. Let me explain smile to you.
Smile is never only about muscles of the mouth moving in a particular direction. It involves eyes, cheeks, body language. Your whole body and mind reacts to smile. Individually all these parts might be very average but put together working into a smile. It is dazzling.
I have been asked many times how somebody’s smile seems more sweeter than others. But then I have always believed that smile is never only about a physical expression and in all instances the person whose smile was sweetest was very close to the heart of the person wondering.
But there are certain smiles which just makes you smile involuntarily even if they are not connected to you in any way. A baby’s smile, Grandmother’s or Grandfather’s smile, a happy mother’s smile, a proud father’s smile, a winning team’s smile. Because as soon as we see this we associate these smiles with positive emotions.
Before you smirk and say you always need a reason to smile. In my experience smile never needs a reason, a reason will find smile. If at all it is necessary to find a reason, You are the biggest reason for You to smile.
If you are still not convinced, let me tell you some interesting facts about smiling (Just to change your mind)
- According to a study conducted by University of California there are 19 different types of smiles categorized into two basic groups “Social” – This is your work smile, grinning in front of your boss, and “Felt” smiles
Where Social smiles use only muscles of your mouth, Felt smiles used the muscles of your mouth and those around your eyes , felt smiles light up the left frontal cortex of the brain where pleasure is registered
- It is also identified that there are six basic types of smiles to express feelings.
o Polite smile
o Asymmetrical smile
o Embarrassed smile
o Genuine smile
o Loving smile
o Synchronized smile
- Physiologically and emotionally, a smile tells our brain that we are safe, that we fit in (or wants to fit in) and that we can relax. When we smile at others, it sends a message of trust and goodwill. And also we are seen as open and approachable.
So smile at store owners, you will get better service (spoken with experience)
- It is found that a single smile can generate the same amount of brain stimulation that of 2000 chocolate bars or 16000 pounds ($25000 or Rs. 16,72,500 – according to today’s rate ). So we can honestly say that your smile is worth lakhs.
- When you smile Neuro transmitters called endorphins are released. Which are responsible for making us feel happy and lower our stress.
- Faking a smile also works because the brain doesn’t differentiate between real and fake it only recognizes the facial muscle movement.
- Laughing expands the lungs, stretches the muscles in the body and stimulates homeostasis, - replenishing the cells from a lungful of oxygen and gaining all the benefits of exercising the body.
By now you might be frowning, but if all these reasons are not enough –
In ancient china, the Taoists taught that a constant inner smile to oneself, insured health, happiness and longevity. Why ? Smiling to yourself is like basking in love : you become your own best friend. Living with an inner smile is to live in harmony with yourself.
So be your best friend, smile for yourself.. Stay happy and healthy
P.S : Did I mention smiling is contagious. Spread the smiles :)